The Society for Human Ecology (SHE) is an international interdisciplinary professional society that promotes the use of an ecological perspective in research, education, and application.
SHE’s goals are to:
- Provide a forum through which scientists, scholars, educators, and practitioners may exchange ideas and information.
- Promote the advancement of an ecological perspective in interdisciplinary studies and practice.
- Identify problems, discover their origins, examine possible solutions and their implications, and then make recommendations for implementing those solutions.
- Look ahead to the consequences of human action on our social, natural, and built environments.
- Build cooperative arrangements among human ecology programs and organizations throughout the world.
- Facilitate the exchange of this information throughout an international network of individuals interested in human ecology.
The Society holds regular conferences, conducts workshops and symposia, and co-sponsors a variety of related activities to further integrate work among professionals in fields pertaining to human ecology. SHE is an affiliate of INTECOL (International Association for Ecology) and Ecological Society of America (ESA), with cross ties to the Human Ecology Section of ESA. SHE also works in a consortium with other national and regional human ecology organizations throughout the world. SHE publishes the online journal Human Ecology Review, with hardcopies available to members at reduced rates.